On September 12th, 2010 a group of people began to gather each week in an athletic facility in Suwanee, Georgia. What brought us all together was a specific mission.
After spending time reading and thinking deeply about the words of Jesus to His followers in Matthew 28:18-20 and reading the description of what the church should be all about in Ephesians 4:11-16 it became clear. Jesus was calling us to plant a new church that would be committed to the following:
- Training people to see themselves as missionaries for Jesus whether they live in a hut in the middle of New Guinea or in a gated community in North Atlanta. As followers of Jesus we are all called to be living each day devoted to God’s mission for our lives!
- Equipping followers of Jesus to live as disciples. Equipping happens when we preach the Bible instead of man’s opinions. It happens when we train believers what the Gospel of Jesus is and how it transforms our lives. It happens as we commit ourselves to train men to be the unashamed spiritual leaders in their homes. It happens as we train women to live as daughters of God instead of objects. It happens when we teach our children what it means to love God and love His Word, The Bible.
- Reaching spiritually lost people with the good news about Jesus! This happens best when we love our community like no one else has ever loved them and at the same time we unashamedly preach the Bible, telling people what it means and how the Good News in it can radically transform their hearts, minds, families, relationships, and every detail of their lives.
- Loving our community of Greater Atlanta just like Jesus does! Followers of Jesus should be known by their love for others. If we really love Jesus then we will love the community around us in tangible ways.
- Loving one another by existing in community. We would make it a priority to gather together for biblical community (see EMMAUS Scattered) as we seek to love one another and support one another during times of sickness, tragedy, sadness, or despair.
- Telling people what the Bible actually means. A lot of churches talk about a lot of things however, sadly, they don’t spend much time in the Bible at all. At EMMAUS our commitment would be to preach the Bible and nothing but the Bible because it is the very Word of God and every word of it is useful. We would preach verse-by-verse and chapter-by-chapter, by God’s grace, so that people (Christians and non-Christians) could hear all of the Bible taught rather than just the parts of it that we wanted to preach or the parts that were less “intrusive” or “offensive”.
- Loving God. We would do this by humbly worshiping God and acknowledging His Son Jesus as our only hope for salvation and sanctification. We would seek to be led by the Holy Spirit in how we live so that we might be a family of missionaries living each day as an act of worship for our King.
- Church Planting both locally and globally. We would be focused on planting more churches, believing this is what the Great Commission is all about.
And this is what we felt the Lord Jesus calling us to commit ourselves to as His Church. So on January 23rd, 2011 we launched EMMAUS Church.
We chose the name EMMAUS out of the story in Luke chapter 24 about Jesus and how He appeared to some of His followers on the Road to Emmaus after He rose from the dead! We read in that story that He taught them about how the entire Old Testament is about Him and we read that their eyes were opened to who Jesus was and their hearts burned within them as He taught them. Beautiful!
And this is our desire as EMMAUS Church: That Jesus and His Gospel would be seen in everything we say and do; That the eyes of the lost will be opened to who Jesus is; That the hearts of men and women would burn within them as the Bible is preached and proclaimed each week; That Jesus will truly be the Senior Pastor of EMMAUS; and that Jesus would be pleased with His Church.
We joyfully invite you to join the story of The Church!